That is essentially the most flavorful one pot hen and rice on the web. Our straightforward hen and rice recipe is made with juicy hen thighs and a pleasant rice medley so that you get further veggies!
Greatest One Pot Hen and Rice Recipe
One-pot meals have been all the fad at our home. After I say one-pot meals…I imply meals the place you will get your 1. protein 2. veggies and three. grains all whereas utilizing only one pot.
Our Hen Casserole recipe for instance simply makes use of a casserole dish. Our Skillet Hen and Potatoes makes use of only a cast-iron skillet. And, our Instantaneous Pot Pork Roast makes use of simply the Instantaneous Pot.
This One Pot Hen and Rice is not any completely different than our reader-favorite one-pot meals however makes use of a Dutch oven. If you happen to don’t have a Dutch oven but, we extremely suggest it. It makes one-pot cooking really easy!
What’s Hen and Rice?
Hen and rice is a basic American dish the place you cook dinner both hen breast or hen thighs and white rice in a dish with broth and seasonings.
Historically, folks use a cream of mushroom soup however we determined to make use of complete substances and as a bonus it lowers the sodium content material as effectively!
The perfect sort of hen and rice bake is tremendous flavorful and accommodates veggies to make it a well-rounded dish (trace trace, this recipe!).
Why make this hen and rice recipe?
There are such a lot of hen and rice recipes on the web, however I can promise you one factor…this one is 100x one of the best! We examined this extra instances than you may depend and the flavour is simply out of this world.
Taste: the flavour of this dish is on level. We used a mixture of hen broth, spices, garlic, butter, and Worcestershire sauce to get that extremely savory taste.
One-Pot: there really is nothing higher than not having to wash 1,000,000 pots and pans after you cook dinner dinner. Clear one pot and performed!
Leftovers: If you’re 1 or 2 folks, you’re going to get a number of meals out of this hen and rice.
Balanced Meal: Protein + Veggies + Grain = excellent balanced meal for any evening.
Kitchen Instruments You Want
You recognize you want a Dutch oven for this hen and rice recipe, what else will make your life simpler?
What’s a Dutch oven?
A dutch oven is a big, heavy pot made out of forged iron. It’s nice for cooking one-pot meals as a result of it retains warmth, which helps cook dinner your meals evenly.
What can you employ rather than a dutch oven?
Don’t have a Dutch oven? No drawback! You are able to do just a few issues:
- Use a deep forged iron pot that’s large enough to carry every thing.
- Do the searing in a frying pan after which switch every thing right into a casserole baking dish for baking.
- Use a traditional stockpot. You might have to barely enhance the baking time.
That is hands-down our favourite Dutch oven. It’s a 6.75 quart enameled forged iron Dutch oven that’s tremendous high-quality and lovely.
What You Want for Hen and Rice
- Hen: this recipe calls for two lbs. bone-in, skin-on thighs, however you’re greater than welcome to make use of boneless skinless. No matter you like.
- Rice: be certain to make use of long-grain white rice resembling basmati. We did NOT take a look at this recipe with brown rice and/or immediate rice, however the liquid ratio will range enormously.
- Veggies: greens you want for this hen and rice recipe are carrots, onion, mushrooms, and peas.
- Seasonings: you’ll have to whip up a batch of our well-known all-purpose hen seasoning. Or, you should utilize a store-bought type. As well as, you’ll want garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Secret Ingredient: our secret ingredient is Worcestershire sauce! It’s vinegary and savory and such an excellent taste addition. Don’t have Worcestershire? Strive utilizing balsamic or apple cider vinegar as an alternative.
So, what makes this Dutch Oven Hen and Rice so flavorful?
Oh the burning query of why is that this hen and rice recipe extra flavorful than others? Properly, let me spell it out for you:
- The hen seasoning we used for the thighs is on level. Not solely does it taste the hen, however it provides to the flavour of the rice and it tastes similar to tremendous flavorful hen and rice camp meals (if you understand you understand).
- Butter – don’t skimp on the butter. It actually does add superb taste.
- Worcestershire – and the key ingredient is, Worcestershire sauce. We love the vinegar and savoriness of this ingredient.
Is Hen and Rice Wholesome?
Home made hen and rice is a wholesome, balanced meal that’s nice for any evening of the week! To make this recipe even more healthy: 1. omit the butter and use olive oil and a pair of. use hen breast as an alternative of thighs.
Rice – this recipe requires basmati white rice, however it would additionally work with jasmine rice. We did NOT take a look at this recipe with brown rice or any sort of immediate rice, so steer clear of these.
Hen – whereas we 100% choose hen thighs for hen and rice, you’re greater than welcome to make use of hen breast as an alternative.
Learn how to Make Hen and Rice (step-by-step)
So, how do you make hen and rice from scratch? It’s SO straightforward! Bear in mind, scroll all the best way right down to our recipe card for the complete substances + directions.
- Season + Sear Hen: Generously season hen thighs with an all-purpose hen seasoning. Then warmth olive oil in your Dutch Oven and sear thighs on either side. The objective right here is to offer them some coloration and brightness and to additionally create that incredible crust on the pores and skin,
- Saute Veggies: Add extra butter and olive oil to the pot after which sear garlic, onion, mushroom, and carrots. Don’t cook dinner them all through, the aim is to simply begin the cooking course of.
- Add All Substances: Add in white rice, hen broth, frozen peas, Worcestershire sauce, and the remainder of the spices and blend to mix.
- Bake: Cowl the Dutch oven with the lid and bake at 375ºF for about 35 minutes. Take away the lid and use a thermometer to verify the thickest a part of the hen has reached an inner temperature of 165ºF. The rice needs to be fully cooked and all liquid needs to be absorbed. If not, proceed cooking for 5-10 extra minutes.
hen thigh tip
Bear in mind, hen thighs are available in all sizes and shapes. We used medium-sized thighs and our cook dinner time was proper round 35 minutes.
Let hen and rice cool fully. Then, switch it into a big, glass container. Cowl and refrigerate for as much as 3-5 days in an hermetic container.
If you happen to’ve obtained the house in your fridge, you may merely retailer your hen and rice bake within the Dutch oven. That’ll prevent just a few dishes!
Are you able to freeze hen and rice?
If you happen to’re planning to freeze hen and rice, we suggest baking it all through, first after which freeze it.
Let your hen and rice recipe cool fully. Then, switch right into a freezer-safe container and take away as a lot air as attainable. Freeze for as much as 3 months.
Alternatively, you may bake your hen and rice in a disposable tin container and freeze in that.
To thaw & reheat: let casserole thaw within the fridge in a single day. Then, bake casserole at 350ºF for 30-45 minutes or till heat within the center.
One Pot Hen and Rice
A flavorful hen and rice recipe made with juicy hen thighs and essentially the most scrumptious rice medley you’ve got ever had! And, sure, it contains tons of veggies!
Cook dinner:35 minutes
- 2 lbs. hen thighs bone-in and skin-on
- 3 tablespoons do-it-yourself hen seasoning
- 2.5 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium white onion minced
- 2 massive cloves garlic minced (or 4 medium)
- 4 oz. white mushrooms diced
- 2 medium carrots minced
- 1 cup white rice we used white basmati
- 2 and 1/4 cups hen broth
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1.5 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon floor pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- contemporary parsley for topping
First, preheat the oven to 375ºF. Then, prep hen thighs by patting them dry with a chunk of paper towel. Generously sprinkle them with hen seasoning and put aside.
Warmth 1.5 tablespoons olive oil in a big Dutch oven over medium/excessive warmth. When olive oil is aromatic. Sear hen thighs on either side for two minutes to get them golden brown. Take away from warmth.
Add 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and use a picket utensil to take away the brown bits from the underside. Then, add onion, garlic, mushrooms, carrots and a pinch of salt and saute for 2-3 minutes.
Add in white rice, hen broth, frozen peas, Worchestershire sauce, and spices, and blend to mix. Flip the warmth to excessive. As soon as the liquid begins to bubble, instantly take away it from the warmth.
Place the seared hen thighs on high of the rice and place the highest on the Dutch oven.
Bake at 375ºF for 35 minutes. Take away from the oven. At this level, the liquid needs to be fully absorbed. If it is not, proceed baking for 5-10 minutes till it absorbs. Verify the interior temperature of the hen thighs. It ought to learn at the least 165ºF.
Choice to broil the dish on excessive for round 1-2 minutes to actually get the hen golden brown.
High with contemporary parsley after which serve instantly.
Energy: 536kcal Carbohydrates: 34g Protein: 43g Fats: 24g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 3g
Images: pictures taken on this put up are by Erin from The Wood Skillet.